Saturday, December 04, 2004

HOW TO HANDEL MISTAKES IN CLASSICAL PIANO PERFORMANCES

Source: Yahoo! Groups

To: classicalpianoplaying@yahoogroups.com
From: "jquandt88"
Date: Friday, 19 Nov 2004 23:53:52 - 0800
Subject: RE: Classical Piano-playing Mistakes

QUESTION:

No matter how hard I practice a piece, I'm always making some mistakes...my finger slips, I hit the wrong key...I just saw an eight year old practice a piece flawlessly. I could do this when I was younger...what am I doing wrong? How do I polish a piece so I'm not stopping and starting again?

* * *

ANSWER:

Truthfully, after several thousand performances of any particular piece, I still have never played a perfect" performance. I have come to believe that they don't really exist. (Perfect practices DO exist.)

Anyway, what I am trying to say is that what you have to get over is stopping, or even "hiccupping" when you make a mistake. Once a piece is very near performance level, begin your practice by playing the piece all the way through as if you are playing for an audience. DO NOT stop for mistakes. Make a mental note of where you need to work and GO ON! After you have played the whole thing, mark and practice the spots that need help.

Practice them a lot.....then practice them more. When you are ready to stop for the day, play the piece all the way through once again, again as if you had an audience watching you. You need to strive for perfection.....but once you are in the middle of a performance, you have to accept what comes out. Play through it, and (dare I say it?) enjoy it no matter what the outcome.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home