Saturday, October 02, 2004

DO NOT FILE A DIVORCE WHEN YOU ARE DAMN OLD

From Ru You via Friendster:



One fine day, an old couple around the age of 70 walks into a lawyer's office. Apparently, they are there to file a divorce. The lawyer is very puzzled; after having a chat with them, he gets their story . . .

This couple has been quarrelling all their forty-over years of marriage. Nothing ever seems to go right. They hang on because of their children, afraid that it might affect their up-bringing. Now, all their children have already grown up, and have their own families. There is nothing else for the old couple to worry about; all they want is to lead their own lives free from all those years of unhappiness from their marriage, so both agree on a divorce.

The lawyer is having a hard time trying to get the papers done, because he feels that after forty years of marriage at the age of seventy, he cannot understand why the old couple will still want a divorce. While they are signing the papers, the wife tells the husband: "I really love you, but I really cannot carry on anymore. I'm sorry." "It's okay, I understand," says the husband. Looking at this, the lawyer suggests a dinner together, just the three of them. The wife thinks: why not, since they are still going to be friends.

At the dining table, there is a silence of awkwardness. The first dish is roasted chicken. Immediately, the old man takes the drumstick for the old lady: "Take this, it's your favourite."

Looking at this, the lawyer thinks: maybe there's still a chance, but the wife is frowning when she answers: "This is always the problem: you always think so highly of yourself and never think about how I feel. Do you know that I hate drumsticks?"

Little does she know that, over the years, the husband has been trying to find ways and means to pelase her. Little does she know that drumsticks are her husband's favourite.

Little does he know that she never thinks he would understand her at all. Little does he know that she hates drumsticks even though all he wants is the best for her.

That night, both of them cannot sleep. They toss and turn, toss and turn . . . after hours, the old man cannot take it anymore. He knows that he still loves her, and he cannot carry on life without her. He wants her back. He wants to tell her that he is sorry, and he wants to tell her, "I love you."

He picks up the phone and starts dialling her number. The ringing never stops. He never stops dialling.

On the other side, she is sad. She cannot understand that, how come after all these years, he still doesn't understand her at all. She loves him a lot, but she just cannot take it anymore. The phone is ringing, but she refuses to answer, knowing that it is him. "What's the point of talking now that it's over? I have to ask for it and now I want to keep it this way, if not I will loose face," she thinks. The phone is still ringing. She decides to pull out the cord.

Little does she remember that he has heart problems.

The next day, she receives news that he has passed away. She rushes down to his apartment and sees his body lying on the couch, still holding on to the phone. He had a heart attack when he was still trying to get through her phone line.

As sad as she can be, she will have to clear his belongings. When she looks through the drawers, she sees this insurance policy, dated from the day they were married, and she is the beneficiary. Together in the file, there is a note: "To my dearest wife, by the time you are reading this, I am sure I am no longer around. I bought this insurance policy for you. Although the amount is only $100K, I hope it will be able to help me continue my promise that I have made when we were married. I might not be around anymore. I want this amount of money to continue taking care of you, just like the way I will if I am able to live longer. I want you to know that I will always be around by your side. I love you."

Tears flow like a river . . .

When you love someone, let them know. You never know what will happen the next minute. Learn to build a life together. Learn to love each other - for who they are, not what they are.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home